Non-Immigrant – Visa Retirement (O-A) Long Stay

If you are 50 years old or older you are eligible to apply for a Retirement visas in Thailand.

These visa types are valid for only one year and employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.  According to Thai immigration, applicants must meet the following qualifications:

  • Applicant must be able to provide proof of a pension or other regular income from a source outside of Thailand;
  • Applicant’s pension or other regular income must be no less than the equivalent of 65,000 Baht per month;
  • Alternatively, the applicant may meet the financial requirement by maintaining a Thai bank account with a minimum amount of 800,000 Baht. (Applicants will need to show that they have 800,000 Baht in savings each year when they renew their visa.)

1. Requirements for Obtaining a One-year “O-A” Visa – Retirement Visa

  • The applicant must be 50 years of age or older by the date of the visa request.
  • Applicants cannot be prohibited from entering the Kingdom.
  • Applicants must having no criminal record in Thailand or the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.
  • Applicants must be of the nationality or resident in the country where his/her application is submitted.
  • Applicants must not have prohibitive diseases as indicated in Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535).
  • Applicants are not allowed to work in Thailand, in order to work in Thailand you must have a Work Permit.

2. Documents Required to Apply for a One-Year “O-A” Visa – Retirement Visa

  • A passport valid for no less than one year at the time of application
  • One passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within the past six months
  • Medical Certificate showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (this certificate issued no later than 3 months before submission). This must be legalized by a doctor.
  • A bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (original copy) indicating a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht. Alternatively, applicants can make a deposit and provide an income certificate indicating a total deposit of no less than 800,000 Baht per year. All financial statement must have the signature of the bank officer together with the bank seal. Any bank statements require a letter of guarantee from the bank (original copy) as well.
  • A criminal record check indicating that the applicant has no criminal record in the country of his/her nationality or residence (this document must be valid for not less than 3 months).
  • visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must have health insurance which covers the whole period of stay in Thailand.

Details of the requirement for health insurance are as follows:

1. For In-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year.

2 For Out-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year.

In addition to the existing required documents, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must furnish a completed “Insurance Certificate”.  As well as a copy of the health insurance policy, provided that the applicant purchases the health insurance from a Thai insurance company as listed here (insurance must covered your length of stay and must be legalized).

 Very important: Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

  • Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.
  • The alien shall report to the competent authority after 90 days from the date of entry to the Kingdom.  As well as every 90 days thereafter with the immigration officer in the alien’s residence area. Alternatively he can report to the police station in the alien’s residence area if there is no immigration control there. 

The Foreigner must report his presence to the Thai authorities following the below procedures: 

Forward the Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp and include a self addressed envelop with sufficient postage affixed. This must be forwarded 7 days before the due date. This package should be mailed to the Immigration Bureau, 507 Soi SuanPlu, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120.

At the end of the one-year stay, a visitor who wishes to extend his/her stay must submit a request to extend the period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer. Alternatively the foreigner can deposit into a Thai bank account an amount of no less than 800,000 Baht. In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.) Copies of any previous such Reports should also be included.

If the visitor’s spouse wishes to extend his/her stay as well, the marriage certificate must be produced.